Unitarian Church - circa 1914
Tudor Revival / Craftsman Style
The Quincy Unitarian Church was established in 1840 and was called the Second Congregational Church. In 1912, the congregation started planning for its fourth meeting place. Church meeting notes indicate church members visited Unitarian churches in Missouri, Wisconsin, Iowa and Urbana, Illinois looking for a suitable church plan. They also commissioned Quincy architect Harvey Chatten to draw up plans. Meeting minutes indicate that church leaders rejected Chatten's plans in favor of building a church similar to a Unitarian church in Kansas City. The stone and stucco church was built for $17,719 in 1914.
The building is a quaint mixture of styles that fall within the Arts and Crafts Movement. Tudor Revival and Craftsman elements are noted in the church. The church is distinguished by its superb masonry design and craftsmanship which is especially evident in the cut stones above the doors and windows.
The heavy oak entry doors are in the low tower, which has corner turrets and a Queen Anne "witches hat". The tower has clerestory windows and the second story sections of the building are stucco with half-timbering. The Tower Room is one of only two, second story rooms in the church. The other is the pastor's study and office space.
Stained glass and painted glass windows create dramatic focal points in the church. The north window, honoring the founders of the Quincy church depicts Indian Mounds Park with the Mississippi River behind it. A triple stained and painted glass window on the south side honors former church members. Except for the modified Gothic chancel, the church's interior is Craftsman style and the wood is oak. Half walls of stone create an old world feeling in the sanctuary.
The Unitarian Church boasts the oldest organ in Quincy. Built in 1875 by the prestigious Steere Organ Company in Springfield, Massachusetts, it is encased in butternut.
The sanctuary is separated from the parlor by leaded glassed folding doors. The parlor - the Heritage Room - has one of the building's two large stone fireplaces. It also has a dramatic wall of painted, leaded glass windows. One window shows the Pilgrims signing a covenant on the Mayflower and the other depicts William Penn and the Delaware Indians making a peace treaty.
The addition is the product of the congregation's goal to make the church handicapped accessible. Painstaking research went into ensuring that the addition would be compatible with the original building and that the new stone would match the main building.